BALTIMORE — Boxer Gervonta Davis pleaded guilty Thursday to four counts stemming from a hit-and-run crash in November 2020 that left four people injured, including a pregnant woman.
Davis’ sentencing is May 5.
Davis, 28, was scheduled to stand trial but waived that Thursday. He did not speak after leaving the courtroom, and his lawyer, Michael Tomko, declined to comment.
Davis pleaded guilty to four traffic offenses: leaving the scene of an accident involving bodily injury, failing to notify of property damage, driving with a revoked license and running a red light. Upon Davis entering his guilty plea, Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Althea M. Handy told him that he’s doing so “with no agreement of what penalty will be at sentencing.”
On Nov. 5, 2020, around 2 am, Davis left a downtown club in Baltimore and drove a Lamborghini under a police escort, according to the prosecution. He then veered from the caravan and eventually ran a red light and struck the passenger side of a 2004 Toyota Solara. Davis was accused of fleeing the scene of an accident that involved four people, including pregnant woman Jair Smith.
According to the prosecution, Davis made eye contact with Smith but never came over to help. Smith, who declined comment after Davis’ guilty plea, is scheduled to speak before Davis’ sentencing.
It seemed like Davis’ case was reaching a conclusion at the end of last year, but a Baltimore Circuit Court judge declined to approve a plea deal that would have allowed him to avoid jail time and instead spend 60 days under house arrest.
Davis is also set to be arraigned on Feb. 23 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in connection with a Dec. 27 misdemeanor domestic violence charge of battery causing bodily harm. Davis pleaded not guilty after allegedly hitting the mother of his 1-year-old daughter with a “closed-hand type slap,” according to police, who said she suffered a small abrasion on the inside of her upper lip. She asked the court to dismiss charges in an affidavit filed Jan. 24.
Davis (28-0, 26 KOs) is closing in on a deal for a 136-pound catchweight superfight against Ryan Garcia that is being planned for April 15 in Las Vegas.